Monday, August 27, 2012

BLOG ENTRY DATE: JUNE 30, 2012

What you are looking at is a healed hip!  Toward the bottom on the right side is a lump of new bone growth that is finally holding everything together.  The majority of the bone re-growth is DONE!  There are a few little areas that may fill in a bit, but the leg and hardware are sticking tight and aren't going anywhere.  The rod and screw are now a permanent part of my anatomy.  We are going to be lifelong friends--and I do hope we remain friends!

I will start out-patient PT in about 10 days.  I still need to strengthen muscles and be able to walk upstairs so there's a bit more work to do.  It doesn't sound like a problem to me!  With all the work I've put in to this point, a bit more is just fine.

I've been thinking a lot about this long ordeal.  In a few days it will be 10 months since I fell.  By the time PT is done I will have my 1-year anniversary.  It's been a very long 10 months.  These injuries and all that goes with them have been just about the only thing in my life for this whole time.  As I get well and gradually start feeling more normal again, it amazes me that I was able to endure some of the things.  The pain will always register as the top annoyance--well more than an annoyance but I can't think of the right words.  Being disabled in itself is not great but it's not the worst thing in the world.  It's very inconvenient but almost always adjustments can be made so one can live their life and do many of the things that they want to do.  I saw my father-in-law, Al Friesen make adjustments to his disability constantly over the 30+ years I knew him, but he still found a way to enjoy life.  Every new activity is a challenge to figure out.  I am so fortunate to have only a disable leg to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment